5/13/2010

My sewing machine story

I've been going to the sewing classes after I rediscovered the joy of sewing (or maybe the other way around).
They happen to have it nearby my home, so I started off with their requirement project, elastic pants. After that project, you are free to bring in anything you'd like to do.
So, I've finished two dresses which I don't have a good picture of them yet. I will post them in near future.

What I like about this class is that you can bring your own project in to work on. It's 3-hour class in the morning and sometimes it gets crowded (maybe about 5 students), so it gets harder to get instructions when you need it, but very helpful and fun.
Plus, one of the instructors is Japanese, so I can get detailed instructions in Japanese! lol That's a big plus!
I haven't been able to make it to the class recently though.

Only time I could sew was when I went to the class because I did not own a sewing machine!
I've been thinking about purchasing one and been looking into various ones to choose from, but fortunately, that plan was changed!
My husband and I took an annual trip to MI to visit the family a few weeks ago.
His grandmother who used to sew passed away 5 years ago and her sewing machine was passed down to my sister-in-law. When I was talking to her about my new hobby, she brought out that sewing machine and said I could take it since she hasn't been using it. At first, I was hesitant but I honorably accepted it! Thank you, sister!
My mother-in-law wiped it down for me to take it home and ta-da! My new machine was reborn waiting to be used! I almost wanted to run to the store to get some thread (I'd purchased enough fabric during the visit. lol) to just sew something!
I was afraid that TSA at the airport might not let me take it on board for whatever reason, but I made sure I took the needle out and luckily I had no problem carrying it on :)
Yes, it was heavy, weighing all my hope and joy within :D

We didn't have an extra table I could put the sewing machine on, so I took the computer desk to be my sewing table! :P We are hopefully moving into our own place soon, so I'll wait till then to get my whole crafting room equipment! hee hee

I've worked on a couple of things on my new sewing machine. Maybe that's why I haven't been desperate to go to the class to sew. It's NICE to have your own at home anytime available!
I'll probably keep working on mine with small projects and go back to the class when I need some tips and help for bigger projects :)

Thanks for reading my happy story :)

No comments:

Post a Comment